Modification of Divorce Judgments
Des Plaines, Illinois Divorce Attorney
Modification of a divorce judgment is sometimes necessary. After a divorce is finalized, life goes on and circumstances often change. In some cases, a spouse receiving maintenance will go back to work. In other cases, a parent will seek to relocate out of state and remove the child(ren) from the State of Illinois. In other cases, a parent paying child support may lose his or her job and seek a readjustment in child support payments.
Whatever the change in circumstance, the Chicago area divorce law firm of The Rogoff Law Group, P.C. helps clients to manage and maneuver the court process for seeking a modification of the divorce judgments.
Modification of Child Support Arrangement
Modification of Custody and Visitation Arrangements
A court considers whether to modify a child custody or visitation arrangement based on the best interests of the child by considering factors such as the following:
- The child’s and parents’ wishes
- Interactions between the child and his parents and siblings
- Adjustment to home, school and community
- Mental and physical health of all persons involved
- Any physical violence or threat of physical violence
- The willingness of each parent to help foster a close relationship between the child and the other parent.
Modification of Spousal Maintenance
Spousal maintenance obligations may be modified if there is a substantial change in the circumstances of either the payor or payee such as the following:
- Change in employment status of either party
- Efforts made by payee spouse to become self-supporting
- Any impairment of the present and future earning capacity of either party
- Tax consequences of the maintenance payments
- Duration of the maintenance payments previously paid (and those remaining to be paid) relative to the duration of the marriage
- Property, including retirement benefits, awarded to each party under the judgment dissolving the marriage
- Increase or decrease of each party’s income since the marriage was dissolved
- Property acquired and owned by each party since the marriage was dissolved
- Any other factor the judge considers to be just and equitable
Compassionate, Practical Legal Advice
Our Family Law Practice Areas
Our Des Plaines divorce lawyers will help you navigate your uncontested or contested divorce, so you can move forward to enjoy your best life.
At The Rogoff Law Group, P.C., our child custody lawyers help ensure the right parenting plan is in place for your children to thrive.
With over 29 years of experience helping parents maintain financial stability for their children, child support lawyer Scott D. Rogoff knows what it takes to help you win.
Spousal maintenance attorney Scott D. Rogoff can help make sure equitable temporary, fixed-term, or permanent alimony orders are in place, so your financial future is safeguarded.
Your assets, your inheritance, and your children’s rights are at stake. Prenuptial agreement lawyer Scott D. Rogoff can help ensure your finances are protected.
Meet Our Happy Clients
“I hired Scott Rogoff to assist me with my divorce and after we met I knew I had hired the best attorney for the job. Scott always responded quickly to my phone calls and had a lot of experience. He was reasonably priced and fair. Thanks Scott for helping me get the outcome I was hoping for!”
“Scott makes the divorce process very clear and understanding. He is a compassionate person and tries to make it as easy and fair as possible for both parties. He is upfront about his cost and was the most reasonably priced attorney I interviewed out if the five that I considered. Scott was extremely helpful to me and my situation and I would absolutely recommend him to others. Just reach out to him for a consult to see what he would have in mind for your situation. He will work with you in person, remotely over the phone or zoom, or a combination of both – whatever works best for you.”
“I am so happy that I trusted Mr. Rogoff to handle my divorce case. His help with my case has changed my life and I cannot thank him enough. After our initial consultation, I was extremely impressed with how quickly he started working on my case and got things done. You can easily tell how much pride he takes in his work with how efficiently he works and communicates with his clients. He took a 5 year drawn out seperation and got my case taken care of in two months after hiring him! If you are in need of representation, you need to hire him. His experience and dedication to his clients is, in my opinion, unmatched. Seriously, do not waste time with anyone else. Mr. Rogoff made my legal experience completely painless and stress free. And again, I cannot thank him enough.”